Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reading: A bit of everything

I have been reading so much lately - I have several things to share with you.

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being a Woman (Vintage)

First of all if you haven't yet read Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck go out and get it immediately. I highly recommend you listen to it as an audiobook because it is read by the author herself, and it is absolutely priceless. Perfect. Funny. Honest. I love, love, love this book and have listened to it no less than ten times.






I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections
But, with all that said - I am currently enjoying I Remember Nothing also by my beloved Nora, and I am enjoying it just as much. I could listen to this woman for the rest of my life and never tire of her wit.

You may have spotted me driving around, laughing maniacally, wiping tears from my eyes and nodding my head so emphatically I may develop a repetitive stress injury. This is what happens when I listen to Nora. "Yes!" I cry, "That's it, exactly!"

Dear Nora, I love you. Sincerely, Melissa



The 9th Judgment (Women's Murder Club)If you haven't read The Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson - it's awesome. If you have been reading the series, The 9th Judgment will not disappoint. It rocks. Shocking murders, brave heroines, and studly police officers - it's all good. I don't know how James Patterson, who I am fairly certain is a man, has managed to so accurately infiltrate the psyche of a close group of female friends, but he has certainly done it.





Marked: A House of Night NovelOkay, I have to admit I'm a little embarrassed about this one, so I've tucked it in with all the other good stuff I'm reading lately, hoping no one will notice that this is a book for teenagers. The House of Night Series is of the teenage-vampire genre. When I read them in public I subtly try to hide the cover so no one is aware that I am pathetic. These books are Harry-Potter-meets-Twilight with a dash of Sweet-Valley-High thrown in there. It's pretty bad, I'm not gonna lie - but the God's honest truth is that I've read six of these books in about 10 days and I can't put them down. This is like jelly-beans-for-the-brain and I have been loving every minute of it.




The Girl with the Dragon TattooAnd finally, there's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. This is a really interesting book. The main character, Lisbeth is a computer-hacking genius with a photographic memory and seriously messed up childhood. What I like best about this (and the subsequent novels in the series) is that Lisbeth serves up justice - even though her methods may be just a wee bit outside the law. My only complaint about these books is that it was somewhat difficult to keep track of all the characters - because 1) there are so many and 2) they all have bizarre swedish names that start with B. But, Larsson does a good job periodically reminding you who a character is when they pop up. These books are definitely worth checking out and Lisbeth is in my top ten list of "coolest fictional characters."


What are you reading lately?

3 comments:

  1. Such good recommendations here! I'm finally getting to read Radical Homemaking.

    Love it!

    And Unconditional Parenting. Life changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading saw me through my childhood, teens and twenties but I seem to have fallen out of the habit in my thirties - the pile of unread books on my bedside cabinet are proof of that! I too loved "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" but am finding "The Girl who pLayed with Fire" much less compelling ... should I persevere? I'm off to check out i-tunes to see if I can get my ears on some Nora Ephron!
    Gayle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an audiobook junkie! I have a long drive everyday, so I got hooked on them. Being in school (back to school) I find this is the only time I get to "read" something other than text books. I am currently listening to Anna Karenina. But I love the Stieg Larsson trilogy. Persevere Lavender - all three are really great stories. Not sure when I will read next - maybe Nora Ephron. I have not ready her before.

    ReplyDelete