Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gingersnaps

Tis the season - cookie season!
I know. I know. Christmas, Melissa? It's only November 13th for crying-out-loud!
Hear me out.
As the self-proclaimed "queen of the cookie" I take it upon myself to bombard my loved ones with cookies during the holidays.  However, now that I have my own team of elves skittering around my ankles, I can't devote long, leisurely days to holiday music, festive beverages, and hours of uninterrupted baking bliss.
Therefore, my new method of cookie-ing involves making and then freezing a batch or two of dough every week starting mid-November, followed by a two-day thawing, baking and delivering extravaganza the week of Christmas.
So - here we go! Cookie-making, week one!

Gingersnaps

These are my grandfather's favorite, and they require a little work - but are more than worth the effort. You're going to want to make two batches.

1 1/2 sticks room temperature, unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar (plus more for rolling)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp each: cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg

Cream the butter, then beat in the molasses and egg until the mixture is light and fluffy. This takes a really long time and you are going to think something is wrong - then all of a sudden the gross brown mixture comes together and lightens up. Hang in there. If you have a stand mixer - use the beater instead of the paddle attachment.
In another bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices. Beat the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture until blended. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar until coated. Set 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 8-12 minutes at 350 degrees or until firm. They will puff and flatten during baking. Cool 1 minute then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

To. Die. For. I'm not kidding.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Last weekend I made a batch of gingersnaps and froze them - too funny!! I'm all into the make the cookies ahead of time and freeze them thing as well! Great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete