Sunday, January 2, 2011

Soup Beans

Because I am sick with a horrible cold, I thought I would share this "recipe" for an amazing pot of black-eyed-peas I made this week, with our portion of leftover Christmas ham. This is serious comfort food, and will definitely cure what ails you (or at least help you survive what's ailing you).

Here we go - and never forget:
Guesstimate.
Approximate.
Taste.

1/2  bag dried black eyed peas
1 green pepper
1 medium onion (any color)
2 large carrots
2 large stalks celery
3 large cloves garlic
2-3 cups ham
1 small can fire roasted tomatoes (drained)
1 large can reduced sodium chicken stock
garlic powder
onion powder
cumin
pepper


Soak your peas overnight (in the fridge) in enough water to cover. Or follow the boiling method on the bag. Drain, rinse, and inspect for rocks. Set aside.

Cut your veggies into bite size pieces, and mince the garlic. In your favorite soup pot heat up some olive oil and saute the veggies until they soften, then add the garlic and cook an additional minute or two.
Dice up the ham and add it to the pot.
Then add the peas and the entire can of chicken stock.
Season to your liking - I probably did a scant teaspoon of everything I listed. No additional salt at this point  though, taste for it at the end.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the peas reach your desired degree of doneness, at least an hour. Put the lid on, but propped open a little with a wooden spoon (you know what I mean?). I think I let them simmer for 3 hours or so and they were nice and soft. Stir occasionally and add water if you need additional liquid.
When you are ready to serve add the drained can of tomatoes and stir.
Serve with crusty bread and woah - this is a seriously good, homey, cheap dinner.

Stay warm and hope you didn't catch this cold by visiting the blog. Go wash your hands.

2 comments:

  1. Great! I've been looking for some new soup recipes. I'll bet you could use any meat. Or even no meat. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes definitely - I think any kitchen leftovers will do - hooray for versitility! Let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete