Monday, January 16, 2012

Dreams

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think this is every parents' dream for their child, for the world to see past the outer trappings, and appreciate "the content of their character".

The character that we as parents have nurtured and strengthened since their birth.

The character that is within them, strong and solid and true, from birth, and though we try to support its' growth - our most important job may be to keep the world from harming it.

To teach our children how to live in this world, but not be taken in by it.

To remember that their character is precious, despite the constant messages indicating the opposite.

How do I teach them to pay attention to their character? How do I teach them to listen to the whispers from that place rather than the shouts and demands of the world and their own blossoming egos?

I can't help but imagine the impact on our world if we all pulled our dreams from that sacred place.

I suppose that big change can start small.

I can start with me and how I raise my boys.



1 comment:

  1. awesome little girl ..you really have your priorities straight ..small circles turn into big ones and before you know it the world has changed..hope it happens with the world our beautiful boys will grow up in love you guys

    ReplyDelete