Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In the kitchen

What's been happening in the kitchen lately?

In our house we've been trying to eat our way through the end of the CSA season. (Insert frowny emoticon).

I am disappointed that I let so much go to waste, but this was my first year as a CSA-er and next year I will be far better prepared.

Anyone have a chest freezer they'd like to hand over?

Anyway.

We were awash in a sea of bell peppers for awhile - so several varieties of stuffed peppers came out of the oven.

If only the boys would eat some. 

My stuffed peppers:

Either cut the tops of the peppers, or cut them the long way.
Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper and place in a foil lined baking pan at 350 while you prep your stuffing.
Stuffing: Saute just about anything in a skillet. When everything's fully cooked, stuff the peppers and bake for and additional 15-20 minutes.

This week I cut the peppers the long way and for the stuffing: sauteed chorizo, peppers and onions.
After stuffing the peppers I covered them with cornbread batter and baked for about 35-40 minutes.
Woah nelly.

Anyone else awash in a sea of produce?

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I'll have to try that. I don't know of ANY children that like peppers...I didn't when I was a kid, but I do now. There's hope for your kids (and mine!).

    I like having lots of chopped peppers in the freezer. When I'm cooking, I just grab a handful and throw them into whatever. Wash, chop, freeze them spread out on a cookie sheet, then toss them in a container. Voila. They turn a tiny bit mushy, but you don't notice that when they're cooked in something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those peppers sound fabulous! I totally need to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete